Want to share that great article you just read on your blog? By following a few simple guidelines you can share the article with your readers, give the author proper exposure, avoid copy and paste plagiarism, and get both articles some Google “love”.
Here are best practices to reposting an article that will keep both the author and Google happy:
1. Write your own compelling headline for the article rather than copy the article’s original headline.
2. Write an introduction paragraph. If you include a short direct quote in this paragraph (or anywhere in the article), be sure to acknowledge the author or source.
3. Write a paragraph to present an excerpt of the article.
Best Excerpt Practices:
- Try to keep the excerpt length to 2 paragraphs of the article. The more you use of the original article the more likely you are to need permission from the author.
- Use the blockquote feature of your blog’s text editor or italicize the text to set the excerpt apart.
- Include a link to the article/source and author. This is an ultra important must do in reposting.
4. Write a closing paragraph. This paragraph can express why you think this article is an excellent resource for your readers. Don’t forget a call to action, ask readers what they think or how will this effect them.
Graphic Sharing Manners:
Poor graphic manners: Pasting a photo directly from another website directly into your post editor – besides violating copyright laws, this causes hot-linking which steals the bandwidth from the original post site.
Excellent graphic manners: Using your own images see Rick’s Tips: 5 Favorite Low Cost or Free Image Sources for WordPress Blog Posts.
Like our graphic? You can download it here: Best Reposting Practices Graphic . We would love a credit link if you use it in a post.
Written by Adam McLane How to Repost a Blog Post with Style and Grace
Social Media 101 Artizon Digital Jump Start Your Blog: Simple Blog Post Formula plus 5 Posting StylesSue Surdam | Artizon Digital | WordPress Specialist and Social Media Solutions | 503-577-1035