Want to post an update for your Facebook business friends only? Use the power of Facebook Lists. Create and use lists to post status updates to a specific group of friends in the time it takes to drink a half cup of coffee. As added bonus lists are terrific for sorting your News Feed too. Watch the video or follow the written instructions to get started!
May 15, 2012 – Please note we have updated the written directions below on how to access the area to create a Facebook list to reflect the current navigation on the news feed page.
- In the left menu on the News Feed/Home Page click Friends.
- Click the Create a List button
- Enter a Name for your list
- Select friends for your list by clicking on their photos or typing in their name. You can unselect a friend by clicking on the check-mark in the lower left corner of their photo.
- When you are finished click the Create List button.
- Facebook takes you to your list, note that your list now appears in the left menu. Edit the list here by adding or removing friends. Edit the list a friend appears in by hovering over their name friend and opening the Edit Lists dropdown menu. Select the lists they appear in by checking or unchecking lists.
- To send status update to specific list of friends:
- From your home page News Feed type your status update post and click on the padlock icon next to the share button below the post.
- Select the customize option
- Under Make this visible to Choose Specific People…from the dropdown list and type in the name of your list.
- Click the Save Setting button
Note that you can also hide the post using the same method.
- To sort your News Feed on your Home page to view the posts by lists open the Most Recent dropdown menu and select your list. By default Facebook only shows two lists, to see all your lists select Choose another…
- While you are in the Most Recent menu check out the other great ways to sort your News Feed by clicking on the menu items.